View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBH
All of them. Most will not be in the league ten years from now whereas most other professions will have the opportunity to work 30-40 years if they so choose. Any given practice or game their career could end with one hit, and God forbid the long term health consequences, all for my entertainment pleasure. Usually, those who don't live up to their contracts are cut. The only thing I do question is being locked in to paying a player millions if he never sets foot on the field.
Most of them won't be playing ten years from now. True. So what? They can't do any other kind of job? They all got free educations. I know they could get paid WAY less and still never have to work again, but I'm not buying the short career argument. The long term health consequences are part of why they make so much. I'll take a bad knee for about 50 million.

By the way, I don't think it's right that athletes get scholarships in the first place. They should just get paid. They bring fans. Pay them. But don't give them a scholarship that belongs to an academic.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote