View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Question--how long were the Florida and Stanford coaches' contracts and if they were longer than 3 years did those schools have a history of letting coaches finish out their 1st contracts? Not letting Willingham finish out his 1st contract when prior coaches have seems to be what most folks crying racism are hanging their hats on.
Looked up Blakes contract
(another african american coach that was fired)

Blake had two years remaining on a five-year contract that paid him $501,000 annually, a number that will certainly rise -- some have suggested it might double -- if the Sooners hope to land some of the replacements they are supposedly considering. Donnan, for example, makes around $625,000 at Georgia.

Here is another paragraph from the article...if you are truly wishing to be informed you should read the article.

"There is talk in some quarters that buying out his contract somehow translated into dishonoring his contract. This is a red herring that is patently false and spread by those ignorant of the facts. Willingham negotiated for and agreed to this performance based multi-million dollar buyout when he signed his contract three years ago. Say it again, “he negotiated for it." One more time, “he negotiated for it.” He negotiated a specific performance clause that kicked in at the end of the third year and he failed to meet it. He knew the three year standard required of him when he signed on; it was in writing and agreed to by his hand. Buying out coach Willingham honored both the letter and the spirit of the contract. "

cac