View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Breakdown of draft positions of starting NFL LTs:
1st Round = 16
2nd Round = 4
3rd Round = 4
2nd Day = 3
FAs = 5

Breakdown of draft positions of starting NFL Centers:
1st Round = 2
2nd Round = 6
3rd Round = 7
2nd Day = 10
FAs = 7

Looking at these numbers, I can infer that the NFL believes Left Tackles are born, not made. And centers are made, not born. If you think there is a guy that can play LT, you have to take him over the center.

I know it's been said before, but drafting tackles is the safest pick a team can make in the 1st round. Of the past 28 Tackles taken in the 1st:

Starting LT's = 12
Starting at another position = 8
Injured = 3
Reserves or out of league = 5

If there's one position the NFL knows how to scout, it's tackle. I want the Texans to continue to draft defensive players because I'm very concerned about their veteran defenders lack of production this season. It's difficult for me to believe that players in their late 20's & 30's will turn it around and be better next season and seasons to come. But, I'm more concerned about David Carr's ability to withstand the punishment he's receiving. How long before the concussions start? It's all downhill from there. I can't see the Texans being able to bring in a vet LT because they're rarely on the market and extremly expensive when they are. If they can find a legit Division 1-A left tackle in this draft, they have to take him. No more projects, please.