View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a mixed bag. In order for the Texans to threaten you with the passing game Davis has got to be effective running the ball. His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield is a godo thing but I think often when you see that he got a lot of yards that way it's a sign that the opposing defense was able to force that into happening.

I think Davis can be effective when he's getting good blocking but the Texans simply have to use him properly and they have to recognize the difference between Davis having a "good" day and Davis having a "big" day.

A good day for Davis is a hundred plus on the ground, spread over the entire game, and a few catches out of the backfield at opportune moments.

A big day for Davis is anywhere from 60 to a hundred plus yards on the ground and he's our leading reciever or one of them. Any time he's 60 or 70+ percent of the offense then we've been dictated into that by the defense and we're not doing what we need to do to win the game.

I'm not calling him the answer to our rushing needs but I think he'll serve for now if the Texans will get their pass protection act together and stop allowing defenses to put the entire game in his hands. As one weapon in a larger set of weapons Davis is useful and teams have had success with less running back than we have right now. The rest of it's got to be there though. When we let defenses make us one dimensional we lose.

You look at our secondary and it's tempting to get mad because they allow so many completions but that's an incomplete picture. Without a pass rush that's effective you can't fairly judge what's going on back there. Without taking into account the number of times linebackers get beat in coverage you can't fairly judge what's going on back there.

You look at our passing game and you see nothing but dink passes to Davis and it's tempting to get mad because AJ & Co. aren't getting the ball but without considering the amount of time Carr has or how good the coverage is on those recievers it's hard to tell what's going on with that. Truthfully you can't even be sure that Carr is even looking at all of them before opting to toss it to Davis.

Until I see the Texans offense fire on all cylinders I'm not prepared to say that Davis is a problem. I believe the biggest problem is the way Davis is utilized by David Carr.

I'm not however addressing Davis' problem with being unable to play when banged up. That's a completely different can of worms there and a legitimate reason I think to look at another back. He's a different runner when he's got some aches and pains.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote