View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Realistically if Davis gets another 300 yards between now and the end of the season will that mean anything? Would 1,132 yards mean that he's "solid" and the position isn't all that big a need going into 2005?

I'm curious because that's only 168 yards away from the 1,300 that has been mentioned here as an approximate minimum for what an NFL back ought to be getting. Considering the lousy start that Davis had this year with his fumbles and the effect that had on him over the first half of the year does that mean we go into the 2005 season starting Davis and expecting big things of him again or will he find some way to stay around the 1,000 yard mark for another season?

Personally I like Davis. I think it's hard not to because he's an exciting player to watch and when he's on you can tell he's busting his tail to get the yards. I don't worry so much about his speed (I think he's a 4.6 40 guy) as I do his durability. Last season I think he had a long of 51 yards against the Bengals and this year his long is 41 with a 60 yarder called back. Speed is wonderful in a back no question about that but backs who aren't burners still find success in this league on a routine basis. It's his ability to play with the bumps and bruises that is cause for concern.

Vinny has mentioned more than one time that when Davis is nicked up he's not the same back and I think that's very true. The problem is that almost every starting back gets nicked up during the season. There's no way around that I'm afraid.

Does anyone think we draft or sign another back for 2005?
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote