View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004   #35
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that what Davis can give you is enough if you can also throw the ball. He's not going to ever be the second coming of Barry Sanders but Davis producing isn't the problem. Davis is going to get you a hundred yards if the blocking is there like it was the majority of the afternoon today and that's "good enough". The problem is the offense not being able to protect the QB when they have to pass. There's no time and you end up with a dump off to Davis and a game summary that's way lopsided.

1. When Davis gets the ball on a handoff is that his fault? No of course not. His number is called and he runs the ball. Good for Davis when he gets some yards out of it. If he could run the ball like he did today all the time then the Texans would be in posession of their coveted "franchise back". So take his 128 yards and call them good stuff.

2. When Davis is dumped off the ball as a result of Carr not finding anyone open (or not seeing the guy who is open) is that Davis fault? No, of course not. He's getting the dump off and he's going to do whatever he can with it. Generally I'd say we have a very good target in DD as far as safetly valves go. He's got good hands and he generally gets good yardage off of those passes.

So what's wrong here? What's wrong is that the Texans seem unable to use Davis AND use anyone else. Defenses are taking away the pass and leaving us the run for as long as they can without it hurting them. Eventually they take that away when it starts to threaten. The whole point is that when the Texans can't run the ball they become one dimensional and teams crush the pocket and kill Carr. When the Texans CAN run the ball teams still crush the pocket on pass plays and kill Carr.

Problem? Pass protection. Solution? Protect the damned QB for more than 2 seconds.

If the Texans can figure out how to do this then there it is. I'm very curious to see what they do on the ground next week against Chicago. If they can run the ball against the Bears then I'm wondering if they're not starting to get the blocking scheme down. If they can run the ball roughly at this level over the last three games then I'm starting to feel good about the blocking scheme finally coming together. It won't win us games without the pass protection being there but at least it will mean they've solved half the equation.

They might just figure out how to run block before they figure out how to pass protect. Now if they'd just figure out how to stop the false starts.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote