View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004   #5
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3474 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

You're partially right. I've been around a little while and I'm disappointed by this team too.

I think we knew this team wasn't going to be playoff-bound this year, but I do think the offense should've shown more progress than it has in 2004. David Carr just can't seem to take over a game. Davis can, but only if he's healthy, and lord knows the brittle Tony Hollings is no help as a backup to him. Furthermore, Carr seems to have at LEAST one totally boneheaded turnover each game lately, and the offense in general is increasing its penalties rather than eliminating them.

The receivers are good, but they don't get the ball enough because we have a large slab of frozen meat playing left tackle and a couple of guards alternating between false starts and getting beaten.

I don't know whether our one-dimensional offense is the fault of coaching or a QB who isn't progressing mentally. But I DO expect more of Carr at the end of year 3.

Back to the issue of expectations. People are ticked off about the Texans' inability to win in the second half of this season. I think that's fair. But some people are getting worked up over losses to top playoff contenders, and I don't think that's right. Losing a close game to Green Bay at home was inexcusable, as was gagging against the Jets. But losing today against a team that's flattening everyone in the league with 30-40-50 points isn't as big a deal to me.

As I wrote in the gameday thread, though, if this team FINISHES with 5 or 6 wins, I think there's reason to gripe. This team should win at least 7 games. Period.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote