View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL teams need two quality backs. Hollings isn't going anywhere.
Yes, NFL teams need two quality backs, but Hollings still needs to prove that he is a quality NFL back.

Being able to run 4.35 or whatever is nice but Tony needs to really step up this year and prove that he can be quality NFL back, i.e., being able to recognize and hit holes and cut back lanes quicker and with more authority (especially now with the zone blocking), holding on to the ball, blitz pick-up, and showing that he can function between the tackles from time to time so that other teams will have to respect him for more than just an outside threat on toss sweeps and screen passes.

Hopefully my list of concerns (just a few things I noticed in many of his 38 regular season rushing attempts and 41 preseason rushing attempts last year - nothing major) are just an aberration because of his inexperience and the knee rehab. I gave him pretty much a free ride last year - but I couldn't help but notice those "opportunities for improvement."

He's still a pup - he's only 22 - so hopefully this year he will feel more comfortable in mind and body. We really do need him to be a productive player because DD won't be able to do it all and unless someone really surprises, we have no one else on the depth chart behind him who can do any better.

I think anyone who seriously thinks there is or will be a competition between DD and Hollings for #1 RB in camp hasn't been watching close enough. Tony may have it in him to claim a #1 spot on merit someday somewhere, but I don't think that's happenin' this year.

Last edited by aj.; 05-28-2004 at 07:23 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote