Thread: Passing Offense
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
This game resembled the Detroit game. Every intermediate and short pass Carr threw to a receiver had a DB breaking on and making a play on the ball. The Detroit game was the same way... I'm not sure if this is a result of bad route running or poor scheming. Whatever it is, I'd rather see our recievers running free through the defense like I watch every time the opposing team has a 3rd and 8-10 against us.
I agree, man. It seems that we just lack the ability to locate that soft spot in defensive coverage. It is always a hit-or-miss thing with our offense, but other teams sure find our defensive soft spot in a hurry!

I'm just confused why the TE's haven't been more effective. There is always a give and take with defensive schemes. They take the corners away, we throw in the middle. They take the short passes away, we should take the long routes. We just don't seem to pick apart defenses the way I see other teams do it.

Maybe it's lack of a consistent pocket protection? I know Cover 2 defenses are hard against the pass, so maybe the counter is the running game, which is one of our glaring weaknesses. It goes back the OL. We don't control the trenches, so we can't establish a balanced game to exploit whatever the defense is showing us.

I wonder if the zone blocking will be with us next year...if so, I hope that we get the talent to properly implement it! I think that's the key to it all.