View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, it's not about negativity Grid. It's about what I'm seeing this season. It's not about this game in particular either. It's about an entire series of games beginning really in Detroit and ending today. Right now we're sitting at 5-7 and two of those wins came against Tennessee. Now where would we be at if Tennessee hadn't picked this season to implode? Would we have split with them? Would we have been swept again by them? Without those two wins we'd be sitting at 3-9 right now or if we just had one of those wins then it'd be 4-8. Either way we've beaten one very bad team twice this year (which is a good thing, nobody wants to lose to a bad team) but I can't place a lot of faith in the progress we've made in two wins against Tennessee this season. Our other wins came against a struggling Chiefs team, a struggling Raiders team with Kerry Collins getting his first start with them, and the Jaguars which was IMO the only win we have this year that we can really crow about.

Have we beaten, or even been really competitive against a single truly good team? San Diego was a good team and we maybe could have beaten them but we imploded and they weren't a "good team" at the time. They were supposed to be the worst team in football as I recall. Detroit thumped us good and hard and then we slipped one by on the Chiefs which was good. Then came the Raider game followed by a thumping at the hands of the Vikings before we came back. We lost it but we came back to force overtime. Ask yourself if this team comes back if this game isn't at Reliant Stadium. I know the answer to that and it's "Of course not". If this had been in Minnesota we'd have just been beat down and that would have been that.

A win over the lousy Titans and than another one over the pretty good Jags followed and from that point forward it's been stark raving reality. The Broncos killed us, The Colts killed us, The Packers got by us when our offense failed to do anything but drink Gatorade in the second half. Then we got the Titans again and they were up on us 21-3 before we came back on them but remember, they're a bad (and injured) team and it was at home. Now we go to New York and another good team delivers a thumping to us on the road.

The Texans played harder against the better opponents on our schedule last year than they have this year. That's just a plain reality and I've started wondering how much of a homer I've become and why I kept thinking for all these weeks that the Texans were about to turn some kind of corner when in reality they're less competitive this year than they were in 2003.

I'm a "fan" but that doesn't mean I have to set my brain aside while being one. I have for the majority of this season but it's time to start applying those reasoning skills and trying to figure out what exactly I'm looking at and it's not good. I'm starting to wonder how much the poor line play has effected the development of David Carr and I'm starting to wonder how long it will really be before the Texans are ready to play with the good teams in this league.

Those teams are hanging 40 and 50 points on the also-rans and the Texans have broken 30 points exactly once in three years. They're having a good day when they score over 20 and often that comes from a defensive score. Our offensive line is not doing a good job of protecting Carr. The sacks may be down but the pressure is there. When Carr was ranked in the top 5 I was happy about it of course. We all were and I want to see him back up there. I'm not going to ignore the fact though that his play has dropped off considerably since then. I would think that would be a cause for concern with any "fan".
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote