View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004   #17
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan7
What annoys me about this firing was that all other Notre Dame Head Coaches (no matter how poorly they performed) were allowed to retain their jobs for the duration of their contract.

This sets a bad precedent; if I had any say in the matter then Willingham would have been allowed to remain at ND until his contract ran out.
I don't know if there is any truth to it, but there are rumors circulating that Willinghams 'people' had contacted Washington to see if they had any interest in Willingham before the firing, this causing the emergency board meeting at ND.
Then again the fact that Willingham was NDs second choice as a coach when he was hired demonstrates that he wasn't their highest regarded coach at the time. I sickens me that people play the race card in all this because of all the hundred or so division one colleges ND was one of only three schools that hired a minority coach.
Instead of people piling on ND for firing a minority coach why not pile on the Longhorns or Aggies for never hiring one. There is probably more to this story than any of us outsiders will know any time soon.
Just my rant, I'm not accusing dan7 of piling on. Carry on.

cac