View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Okay your basic premise is that the Texans rushing defense is not that bad...I disagree but don't feel like looking up the stats that will tell you very different.. I don't think that a Safety is the top need, but if one is there then i would consider drafting him.
sounds like your in favor of BPA.

lets look at things from a long term perspective & how the Texans arrived at this point in time. To put a competitive team on the field from the beginning meant building through the expansion draft, with other teams older & expensive players. Now with three drafts under the Texans belts & on the cusp of a winning record the balanced building has to address its oldest parts. On the defensive side you have two lineman (Walker/re-signed & Payne unsigned) with Robaire Smith the future NT in waiting. From a drafting standpoint a fresh, large pair of legs are needed to keep the 3-4 a viable & effective defense going foward, hence Marcus Spears is #1 priority.

secondary also built through expansion with Coleman & Glenn is getting older and could get a look at but as we seen in last years drafting of Dunta Robinson CB and Glen Earl S the Texans have in place two young talented players. Another CB would make sense if Mr. Spears is gone as long as its one of the elite corners, like Webster. The Texans 2nd round pick then would have to address the defensive line that would fit the 3-4 scheme. Travis Johnson Florida State would require a trade-up similar to Babin last year but would add two very talented players for the Texans future.

last point regards the offense. The Texans have their franchise QB (Carr) & WR (AJ) but not RB. A couple of years ago when they drafted AJ the player the Texans where most fond of was Willis McGahee who tore his acl in the Hurricanes last game of the season. It took him a year to recover but look at whats hes done latley in Buffalo. Do the Texans have their franchise RB yet? Is Dominack, Wells or Hollings gonna be the man? Seems like a strong supporting cast which is what you need in the NFL but no Adrian Peterson or Willis McGahee. However Auburn has a pair of possible feature backs Carnell Williams & Ronnie Brown. Of the two it seems to me that Ronnie would be the perfect fit for the Texans. Once again if the Texans used the 1st pick on a RB I would be in favor of a trade up into the 1st round to select a premier defensive tackle like Travis Johnson.

recap: re-tool the defensive line Marcus Spears/Travis Johnson. Add another talented CB (Webster) or franchise RB (Brown) the later two options would require a trade up for Travis Johnson, while the Marcus Spears selection would not.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote