View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007   #55
Bongo59
Veteran

Default Re: Vince Young AP Offensive ROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Drew deserved it more IMO .. great season by him eventhough he is a jag ... CBS was calling him a little Earl Campbell. how's that comparison..
try this one...............MJD took a 12-4 team to an 8-8 record with all his accomplishments............VY took a 4 win team who started 0-5 to 8-8.................with the worst D in the league...............THAT IS WHY HE WON IN LANDSLIDE FASHION

and for the braindead folks putting VY in Vicks class............read Rick Gosselin column today..............he is the most respected NFL writer in this country.............

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsl...n.6f005d6.html

Remember the Titans in 2007

07:24 PM CST on Tuesday, January 2, 2007

If you like statistics, you aren't going to like the Tennessee Titans.

They finished dead last in the NFL in defense this season, allowing an AFC-high 400 points. They also finished 27th in offense with a rookie quarterback who wound up as the 30th most efficient passer in the NFL.

But I'm more excited about the future of the Titans right now than any other team in the NFL.

Start with the fact a young, franchise quarterback is in place. His numbers aren't pretty – Vince Young threw more interceptions (13) than touchdowns this season (12) and had a couple of real flat tires, passing for fewer than 100 yards in three of his 13 starts.

But Young did what he does best – what he did so well at Texas. He wins. Young engineered four fourth-quarter victories and another in overtime on the way to an 8-5 record as a starter. He beat playoff teams Philadelphia, the Giants and Indianapolis on successive weekends during one late-season stretch.

In my draft preparations last spring, I thought Young would take at least year to figure out the NFL game. I was wrong. His intangibles were strong enough to overcome any technical deficiencies he encountered at the quarterback position.

Most NFL quarterbacks must learn how to play the position before they can win games. Young proved he could win while learning. He's going to be special.

Having the quarterback in place is 75 percent of playoff contention. The other 25 percent is just as bright for Tennessee.

The Titans entered 2006 in a rebuilding mode. They fielded the youngest roster in the AFC and the fifth-youngest starting lineup in the NFL on opening day. The Titans finished the season starting recent 10 draft picks (from 2004 on) and finished 8-8.

AP
Vince Young was 8-5 as a starter in his rookie season. Whatever the Titans need this off-season to take the next step as a playoff contender, they are in a position to get. The NFL roster size is 53 players. The Titans already have 60 players under contract for 2007 – and they are still $41 million under the projected salary cap of $106 million.

Not only that, the Titans have 10 draft picks this April – an extra fourth-, sixth- and seventh-rounder. And this is a team that likes to develop its own players. Fifteen of Tennessee's starters in the finale against New England were homegrown.

That's why I love the Titans in 2007 and beyond. If the AFC South champion Indianapolis Colts look over their shoulder, they will see the Titans bearing down on them in a full sprint. That gap will continue to close this off-season.

Last edited by Bongo59; 01-03-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote