View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

1. yes im telling you that 14 games and dozens upon dozens of practices is not enough time to see PERFECTION. as i said in the post above.. we have seen progress.. just not in the run blocking. As for scrapping it if it doesnt work over an extended period.. I agree.. but we havent used it over an extended period.. we have used it for just over half a season. Id give it the rest of the season, and the offseason.. and if you see some improvement by then, use it for another season and see where you are then. if not, then scrap it and go back to the normal scheme.

2. I agree that you need to get contributions from Rookies.. and honestly I beleive our rookies HAVE been contributing. No, babin is not the greatest pass rusher in the NFL, but he has shown promise and deserves his starting spot. Robinson is awesome and has definatly contributed. Earl we havent seen much of yet but he is looking good so far. I think where the rookies HURT us though is that they cant be trusted to be steady players for every down.. they are going to make mistakes and when our veterans cant trust the players around them, well it makes it hard to function at 100%. mentally I do not think our defense is where they need to be with 3 rookies playing. This will improve next year.

3. I dont know many teams that can turn on a dime and completely change the way they play the game. playing defensively is how this team is built.. its how the playbooks are written and how the coaches think. Why is it that people just conveniently forget how we play when we are playing good.. and instead insist on focusing on the bad games and claiming "that is who we are"?? Honestly you say we have no pass rush, and we do not have alot of sacks, but during our 4 out of 5 winning streak we were doing a good job of pressuring the QB. We also had improved our nasty 3rd down % from the first few games.

Also, do you honestly think that those games against denver and indi were a good measure of what our team is really capable of? I dont.. i know we are alot better than that.. so it is not that hard to imagine that a good coach would beleive in his team and give them the opportunity to play like they are capable of. In the case of the Green Bay game.. we played GREAT in the first half.. Capers had no reason to think we wouldnt come out in the second and continue to play that well, especially considering the success we have had at home this year. And really.. our defense played OK in the second half.. not as well as the first :P.. but its not like we gave up 30 points. The problem, as i see it, boils down to the offensive playcalling. The Audibles to be specific.. those Audibles into runs completely shut down our drives in the second half... just taking more time off the clock could have won that game for us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote