Originally Posted by Grid
1. I think they will get it together because it has ONLY been 6 months. These things cant be simple :P.. and if it was an incredibly easy transition, then dont you think EVERYONE would be using zone blocking after seeing the success denver has had? No.. we are taking advantage of our situation (a young growing team) to learn a better blocking scheme.
2. I think every problem we have on defense boils down to players who are too young to make a difference, or too old to make a difference.. that will all even out in a season or two.
3. this whole misconception that we have about playing not to lose, is exactly that, a misconception. We play defensively minded, yes, but that is not the same as "playing not to lose". We try to build a lead, then we try to win the game by running down the clock and taking away opportunities for the opposing offense. That is not a bad strategy :P. The problem with it at this point is exactly what capers has been saying, we arent executing. For this strategy to work, you have to play solid football and not give up the big plays, we have not done that.. we are one of the worst defenses on 3rd downs.
I shortened your post to the main points, so I could respond.
1) So, you are telling me that 14 games, and dozens upon dozens of practices is not enough time to at least see some progress? I'm not buying that. We need better talent, but imo, this scheme as a primary tool is not working with this group. If something doesn't work over an extended time, you scrap it. It's not like Denver is the only team to run a zone blocking scheme. Most teams run some form of it, and a few run it as their basic blocking scheme.
2) I can buy the point about youngsters, as we are starting three. But, in this day and age of FA, you need to get contributions from rookies. That's just the way it is. But, what I see in your answer is excuses. These are pros. They are highly paid to do a job, and right now, they aren't doing it (as a group) Heck, I thought Glenn looked rejuvenated out there. All teams have a mix of older guys and youngsters. You think every team has 11 5th yr players all at once?
3) You say potato, I say potato. Well, that didn't exactly come out right! Playing defensively minded WITH THIS defense, is EXACTLY playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. Have you not seen this disaster of a defense. We get no rush - none. They are dead last in 3rd down %. They gave up 80 points in the prior two weeks. What was it about those performances that inspired Capers to think he could sit on a lead with that group. Inquirying minds want to know!