View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

1. I think they will get it together because it has ONLY been 6 months. These things cant be simple :P.. and if it was an incredibly easy transition, then dont you think EVERYONE would be using zone blocking after seeing the success denver has had? No.. we are taking advantage of our situation (a young growing team) to learn a better blocking scheme.

2. I think every problem we have on defense boils down to players who are too young to make a difference, or too old to make a difference.. that will all even out in a season or two.

3. this whole misconception that we have about playing not to lose, is exactly that, a misconception. We play defensively minded, yes, but that is not the same as "playing not to lose". We try to build a lead, then we try to win the game by running down the clock and taking away opportunities for the opposing offense. That is not a bad strategy :P. The problem with it at this point is exactly what capers has been saying, we arent executing. For this strategy to work, you have to play solid football and not give up the big plays, we have not done that.. we are one of the worst defenses on 3rd downs. As I said in the original post.. defensive minded teams have been more successful than offensive minded teams. As for your take on the teams i listed... the Ravens offense has only suffered because Heap has been injured and Boller is looking his age, they play a defensive minded game though, and you cannot deny it has been successful for them in the past. The Eagles and Pats are definatly the most balanced of those teams I listed.. though the Pats are obviously more defensive minded, and the Eagles are obviously more offense oriented.. and they are considered the best teams in their conferences because of it.. though only the Pats made it to the superbowl. I think with our offense, and the defensive coaches that we have and the personel we have on defense so far.. we can be just as balanced as the Eagles and Pats.. but I think a better O coordinator would help us along.

as for the fans starting to expect wins.. the fans arent fans if they cannot support their team and give them more time to grow and realize their entire potential. They are just "ticket holders"
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote