Just the facts ma'am
So I just wanted to vent a little bit.
1. Zone blocking is a superior blocking scheme when run correctly. We are smart to start doing it now while we are young. In a couple seasons when we are TRUELY a playoff contender, and not a possible playoff contender.. we will be happy that we started using the zone blocking scheme now. Yah.. its having a rough start, but that is what happens when you make a drastic change to the way you play the game.
2. the 3-4 is a great defense. it is built to be aggressive and that is the kind of defense I like. On top of that, we have the coaches to run a very effective 3-4, and switching to a 4-3 would actually weaken us, based solely on the fact that we do not have coaches that are as experienced with the 4-3. We have THREE rookies starting on defense, that makes consistent play difficult. Next year we will be even better, and 2 years from now, with another defensive draft under our belt and a few more 2 year rookies.. we will be good to go.
3. Capers is a good coach. Playing not to lose is not a bad thing if its done right. You all act surprised, but everyone KNEW when we got coach capers that he was a defensive minded coach. Dont you expect a defensive minded coach to be more interested in stopping the other team and controlling the clock, than they are at putting up huge points? there are 4 teams in the NFL that I can think of who are truely offensive teams.. Colts, Vikings, Eagles, and Chiefs. and here are 4 teams that are defensive minded and play the same way that Capers is trying to make us play.. Ravens, Bucaneers, Patriots, Panthers. Now.. do you notice something interesting about that list? thats right.. the 4 offensive teams havent seen the SB in years :P. While the 4 defensive teams are a whos who of recent SB teams. Yes, it is frustrating to see a lead disappear, or to see our offense sputter at the wrong time.. but Capers is building this team the RIGHT WAY.. and when our defense is up to par, we will be one of the most BALANCED defensive teams in the league.. capable of stopping you cold, and making big plays on offense at the same time.
4. I HATE LOSING.. HATE HATE HATE HATE IT. But I am not prepared to say that we need any MAJOR changes. I think SOME changes would be good.. there is no excuse for our play against the Colts and Broncos, we played like a college team, a BAD college team. We played with NO heart. That isnt just the players, that is the coaches. I have off and on feelings about Fangio, but I think he really is a good coach and once he has a little more talent to work with I think he will shine. Palmer though.. I do not like how he runs the offense. I LOVE rushing offenses, I find them very exciting to watch, but I dont like how Palmer runs ours. We are not a very interesting offensive team.. our playbook seems very vanilla. Watching other teams play, I am impressed with some of the things they can pull off with their offense. I dont know if it is Palmers fault or the players fault.. but considering some of the really stupid mistakes we have made that are OBVIOUSLY palmers fault.. im inclined to think that Palmer is a problem and finding a better offensive coordinator would be a good move for us.
5. Give Davis time. Like I said, the zone blocking needs time to work. Im not positive Davis is going to work out for us. The whole reason, I think, that Davis was successful in 2003 is because he was able to hide behind his blockers for extra yardage.. the zone blocking does not seem to allow him to do that, so he may not be the best back for us in the long run. But im not prepared to call him a bust before he has a chance to line up behind a working offensive line.
Ok, that is all I have to say.