View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what Porky, with respect to the offensive line (where I believe a great deal of the teams problems live) I question whether the talent deficient argument can hold water. The line starts one guy who's basically a newb and that's Wand. Aside from Wand the line's as experienced as most any in the NFL and they're not sufferring from an injury problem. They've had some guys miss time of course but this was their 10th game together in this system and with these players.

Our starters are playing and practicing and not getting any better. Wade and Weigert were players this team went out and chose to pick up. Same for McKinney and all three have good starting experience in this league. Pitts we drafted and he's started every game since coming into the league. I just find it real hard to conclude (as I suspect you do as well) that these players themselves are not good enough or are not good enough to play better than they have the last three weeks.

Early in the season I knew that the line needed time to do that magical "gel" thing and I didn't start watching NFL football three years ago when the Texans started up. I've been watching this process happen for decades and watching lines (mostly the Oilers line) incorporate new players and position changes. The progress here is slow to a point of being almost invisible. 10 games and not a hint of progress in run blocking or pass protection is cause for alarm. Maybe it wasn't in 2002 when the guys starting on the line were hopelessly incompetent for the most part but this group has players. This group is not deficient in talent.

Not of course that you were arguing that they weren't good enough talent-wise or anthing. Just that I've been seeing the lack of depth/talent being mentioned prominently in several posts today and when I saw you mention it (and it has been a factor in both 2002 and 2003) I chose to comment on it here.