View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004   #31
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominatorDavis
I think that that is not what my intention really entails Zep. I don't care what team it is - Cowboys or Chargers - if there is a good move for the team we should look at it closer. That is all I am saying. Besides we wiped the floor with the Cowboys opening day - there is no complex here. A 3rd for a 6th is a good move no doubt. But we will have to see what that 3rd turns out to be. Having said that, I think that we should have gone to hell and back to sign him. But I think that management felt that they got one over on the NFL for drafting him unexpectedly and that it would look good to trade him and gain position verse actually looking at the proposition of inking a deal. And we had money - millions in fact.

The rookie pool is a predetermined amount that is unrelated to the team's salary cap situation. In order to sign Henson, we would have been unable to sign Joppru or Wand most likely... Also, Henson would be sitting this year even without Carr. Then, in '05 he'd possibly be ready to get some playing time- surely he'd struggle as all QBs without NFL experience do... And at best, he'd be ready to be an asset to this team in '06 or '07- and even then, only as a backup. Carr in year 5 will almost definitely be a better option than a guy who started 9 college games, stopped playing football for three years, and then sat on the NFL bench for a year or two.

Maybe Henson will be a great NFL QB and maybe the Cowboys will benefit from his greatness. A good trade can be good for both teams- it's foolishness to run a team by trying to ripoff other teams. Most NFL trades involve matchmaking. If you want to move a player, you look for a team that could benefit from him and you try and get market value or better and you don't look back.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote