Thread: Good Coaches?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
...But it still stands that in the years since the slary cap no college coach has enterd teh NFL and done well, and I don;t think Saban will be the first...
But what does that mean? Unless the coach is also responsible for FA signings and such, why would a college coach be at a disadvantage due to the salary cap. Here is a list off the top of my head of the coaches who've come straight from college in the past 10 or so years.

Barry Switzer (did win a Super Bowl)
Rich Brooks
Steve Mariucci (who has been pretty good if you ask me)
Mike Riley
Butch Davis
Steve Spurrier

To my knowledge, only Davis has had final say on roster matters. The salary cap/college coach relationship seems more like a coincidence than a trend. Especially when there were college coaches who succeeded in the NFL just prior to that time, such as Jimmy Johnson, Bobby Ross, & Dennis Green. At some point, a college coach will come into the NFL and win. It could be Saban, who knows? With the dwindling amount of teams running option offenses in college, the NFL & college football have never been closer in style.

Having said all of that...I still don't believe the Texans will fire Dom Capers any time soon and hire Nick Saban. Or anyone else.