View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Yeah, I agree that there was no holes against the Colts but what about the other games this season??? The run blocking hasnt been that bad the entire year. Against the Raiders, Wells put up 100 yards because he made one cut and got up the field. He danced very little and was very productive that game.
IMO, the Raiders game was more of the aberration this year than the Colts game as far as run blocking by the OL. Vinny or someone that understands the zone blocking scheme can correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it one of two things is supposed to happen on most plays, either a hole will develop along the run side of the formation with a double team and one of the double team members will release into the second level or the back side of the play will get sealed off to let the RB cut and run counter to the flow. Instead what we are consistantly seeing is (1) no hole with defenders coming around the edges, (2) a hole with no one picking up the LB or safety coming up to fill the hole because the double team either isn't forming or isn't releasing to the second level or (3) an attempted cut to the back side that is snuffed because the back side is not being sealed off.

I am not saying that DD is a pro-bowler or that they shouldn't consider drafting a RB, but IMO the far bigger failure right now is the OL. Hopefully this is all just an issue of people in new positions and gelling rather than personnel.