View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004   #24
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Stay in personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
I think that is a rash generalization. Different people respond to different types of motivation. For myself, a ranter as a boss does not work. For others, someone constantly has to be on their butt or no work gets done. Most are somewhere in between. All I know is when Deloach came to the sideline, I would have lit into him like there was no tomorrow, and I would have made sure as many players as possible heard it. Then I would have benched his arse the rest of the game, and benched him next week to boot. Someone needs to give these guys a good swift kick, and Capers ain't doing it!
The key from a coach/management idea is to stay in your personality. If you are generally calm and then explode when something in particular happens it is more likely to work. People can see through if you faking angry or outward energy "to fire up the troops." even when something that may send someone else into a rage. Also, if you are a Tony dungy it often pays to have couple Herm Edwards around for (which he did) to keep things in balance.

Also, I am going to argue that despite the physical nature of football and emotion we often see that most players have been around ranters enough , that it is a sort of old hat by the time they are 28 year old adults.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote