Thread: Tony Hollings
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004   #26
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I don't see the NFL going arena ball. Good defense is always going to have its place in this game at this level. History shows teams that teams that focus on passing offense only and cannot run the ball to hold a lead lose in the playoffs for the most part.
You make a good and valid point. However, I never indicated or advocated this. There may well be teams that go to the Run & Shoot, but I think the norm is more likely to move closer to a 35:25 pass:run split. If I can remember, it will be interesting to calculate the average for the playoff teams, this year.

I think this will also open up running lanes and you will see the outstanding runners averaging 6 or 7 yards per carry over the course of a season. In 1993, with the Run & Shoot, Gary Brown averaged 5.1 yds for his 195 carries. To momentarily move back "on topic", this is why I would favor giving Tony Hollings playing time in the one back formation and would develope blocking schemes to open these lanes.

You made one comment - "history shows..." - but this is precisely my point. The rules are being sooooo skewed in favored of the high scoring passing offense that we will see a "new history" develope. Mouse was ahead of his time and the Run & Shoot was 10 years too early.

And I don't disagree with you on this point - championships will be won by the defense.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote