Thread: Tony Hollings
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004   #14
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
... I don't think Capers is conservative at all. He is calculating, not reckless. Very different. Just last week, I would refer you to three plays...Capers understands gameplanning and playcalling very well. He understands what the running game is doing...he knows how to use what he has to get the job done.
My thinking is that Capers, on any individual play, is not necessarily conservative, as pointed out by Mistril48. However, his game plan is conservative. Any game plan which pounds the ball with a running attack - that is, running plays exceding passing plays - I consider conservative. Capers himself admits he uses the running game to set up the passing game. The other thing to remember is that a good percentage of Carr's passing completions are not true "downfield" pass plays, but rather those dump-off passes to the HB, or the 1 yd hitch pass & run to AJ.

The thing is, rule changes favor the downfield passing game - and to keep up with these changes, a strategy of using the passing game to set up the running game makes more sense than it did a decade ago.

I went back and found these passer ratings for 1993 :

Young - 99.9
Aikman - 99.1
Elway - 92.9
Simms - 88.3
Montana - 87.4
Kelly - 80.0
Moon - 75.2
Favre - 72.2

Today, it is common for the best ratings to excede 100. Culpepper has 124.0. A ROOKIE - ROETHLISBERGER - HAS A RATING OF 100.1. Carr's current rating is 97.8.

The Texans currently have a run to pass ratio of 30.4 to 30.2. With our current talent, and with the new rule changes, we would problably have a more efficent offense with a ratio of about 33 Pass to 27 Run. Using a one back set, I would try Hollings at that position until Davis reacquires last year's performance level. And I would throw more downfield.

Having said all this, I can live with Capers' game plan if it proves to be sucessful. We have just entered a stretch where we play : Jacksonville, Denver, Indianapolis, Green Bay, Tennessee, Indianapolis and the Jets. I look forward to seeing how we do.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote