Thread: Quick question
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004   #23
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
..I always thought the immediate pass to a receiver (like Johnson) was called a quick out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
A quick out (route) is where the WR drives straight downfield 5-15 yards and makes a sharp cut to the sideline.
AJ, I think this is more properly just called an "out pattern" and represents an intermediate route. A "quick out" is a short pattern designed to pick up a crucial 2 to 5 yds and the receiver steps out of bounds to stop the clock. If the situation allows, the receiver can tightwalk the sideline to pick up extra yards before stepping out of bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
...I always thought a hitch was a comeback route...
I think what you may be thinking of here is a "hook pattern", an intermediate route of about 10 to 15 yards. The receiver comes to a complete stop and turns 180 degrees. Ideally, the ball reaches the receiver almost immediately after his turn. If it doesn't, he may come back toward the line of scrimmage a step or two.

From Vinny's diagram of the hitch pass, you will see the position the receiver is in to catch the ball. This is a much easier pass to complete than the quick out, where the catch is made over the shoulder or the receiver twists his body to get his hands into position. Also, as it is slightly shorter, it is a more quickly developing play.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote