View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Football is a rough and punishing sport. Size absolutely matters. Even in high school, most guys aren't big enough to even play wide-out or cb and, even if they are, they aren't nearly fast enough. Throw in the fact that those speed burners who get those positions are invariably black, while most students are white, and you've got a mixture for resentment. Now, throw in the fact that, in high school there is an overwhelming feeling of wanting to be seen as tough by most of the male population and you've got a school full of white and hispanic males who, mostly secretly, resent football. Most of them can't make the other sports teams either, but nobody's insecure about not being a 6'4'' beanpole or that they just can't happen to hit a curve-ball very well.

They'll get over that mild resentment that they've got as they get older and, bye the way, I'm not saying that it's prejudice. They feel that way about white football players too.

A few more names that make younsters not care about sports:

Doom 3
Sims2
Ultima Online
NFS: Underground
Tony Hawks Whatever it is
Call of Duty
Rome: Total War
Half-Life (whatever version)
Planetside
Aces High

The list actually goes on and on and on these days.

I've got a few of these myself and, believe me, all that time lost will make you spend less time in front of a TV.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote