View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
I don't, but I do remember that Brown was doing a pretty good job until he blew his knee out.
I believe Brown went out in the 4th when the game was pretty much in hand for the Saints. In fact, I thought at the time he had been pulled in favor of Washington. I didn't even realize he was injured until after the game. I don't think dominated is too strong a word for what happened to Brown against Grady Jackson. No push in the running game, allowing penetration that forced Carr out of the pocket, holding penalty, missing Whitehead on an inside stunt. It was a horrible game ended by a knee injury. Not that Brown was alone in his ineptness, as the entire Texan O-line was just shredded that day in New Orleans. And that's after one of their greatest performances (Brown included) in the Dolphin game. I am not saying that Brown cannot become a very good guard for the Texans. What I am saying is that we don't really know enough off of 2 games (one good, one not) to state that as fact.

My postulations on Wand at LG were predicated on a) Wand getting stronger in the offseason & b) Wand getting more knowledgeable of NFL line play in the offseason. No, Wand 1.0 could not have effectively played guard or tackle on a regular basis. He did a good job as an extra blocking TE, but he did make some mistakes (the sack that took Carr out of the Colt game for one). Wand is certainly capable of getting stronger and that may be happening now. Like the rest of his teammates, he's learning a new blocking scheme. How all of that translates to the field remains to be seen, I'm just not going to dismiss Wand making that big jump this offseason. If he does get stronger & "smarter", what Wand would then lack is experience. It is not so uncommon that players drafted at tackle begin their careers at guard, Luke Petitgout of the Giants is another example. It allows a guy to get some action under fire without getting a QB killed by an edge rusher. Wand is probably the lineman with the most "upside" on the Texans, is it so unlikely that he may earn a spot on the line that I shouldn't even bring up the possibility?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote