Thread: Momentum
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I guess we agree to disagree on this one. I still feel that the time off for football players hurts any momentum they could have. Emotions are a key factor for every major sport I believe. A pitcher throwing a CG is likely on fumes by the 8th, and using emotion and adrenaline to get him through the rest of the game. Same goes for a PG in basketball if he's played nearly 40 minutes running up and down the court he's relying on emotions to push him to make that last defenisve stand to win the game. The examples are endless, but in the end that basketball/baseball/hockey player goes to sleep that night knowing that sometime the next day he'll do it all over again. Some might say it becomes a routine, and it's hard to build momentum that way. I would counter that in football they prepare all week for the game on Sunday whether they won or lost last Sunday. They study film on their opponents because they might not have faced him before or not enough to have a good read on him. They have meetings going over the other team and their offense/defens. Essientially they go through the same routine every week to prepare for their opponents. I just feel that it's easier for a player to carry the emotions from a win or loss over to the next day rather than the next week. As for Pittsburgh, I agree that the team has carried them moreso than Rothelisburger, but I feel that once DCoordinators get a better feel for him they'll be able to make him uncomfortable and force him to make some mistakes. If Ben fumbles or throws an INT there's not much his team can do about it. They've also been helped by great defensive play. Take Cincinatti (please) for example. Palmer has played alright, but his mistakes have been more costly due to the Bengals horrible defensive play. The Steelers have had terrific play from their OLine, their WR, their D, and their RBs. If a DCoordinator can put pressure on him, and make him forget about one or two of those things then they might have success against the Steelers. All in all the Steelers are stuck in possibly the worst division in football right now so it will essientially be a toss up as to who will win at season's end.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote