Thread: Momentum
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Momentum is always an interesting subject when it comes to sports in general. Of all the major sports I feel that football is the game least effected by momentum. Sure you can have a nice streak of wins, but they span nearly a month long. Hard to bring momentum with you over the course of a 6 days off. I feel that sports like baseball, basketball, and even hockey tend to benefit more from gaining momentum.
I agree with Vinny on this one. Taking the opposite tack to your's, I think the facts that NFL teams have a break and don't play series of games helps maintain momentum. Absent a gross disparity of talent it is rare in the NBA or MLB for teams to even sweep series. So every week or few days they have the ups and downs of wins and losses. Look at the long win streaks in the NBA and MLB--not positive, but the Patriots have to be getting close to some of the longest streaks ever in those leagues.