Thread: Momentum
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004   #2
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Momentum is always an interesting subject when it comes to sports in general. Of all the major sports I feel that football is the game least effected by momentum. Sure you can have a nice streak of wins, but they span nearly a month long. Hard to bring momentum with you over the course of a 6 days off. I feel that sports like baseball, basketball, and even hockey tend to benefit more from gaining momentum. They have the advantage of playings games on consecutive days, and in baseball even doubleheaders. Football is sort of like a long horse race. Some teams start off streaking from the gates, some start out slow and steady, and still others stumble out of the gates and come near wiping out. As the race goes on some of the early streakers come back to the middle of the pack while some of those that started out slow and steady and even a few that stumbles out the gates make their way up amongst the leaders. It all goes back and forth over the long season until the champion is crowned. I've never been a big believer of bye weeks hurting a team's momentum, but then again I also never thought momentum was much of a factor in football. I do tend to agree with how you have the playoff picture shaking out right now. The only exceptions being Pittsburgh and St Louis. I feel that Pittsburgh will come back down to the pack once DCoordinators get more game film on Rothelisburger, and I think St Louis will end up as a wildcard with Seattle winning the NFC West.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote