View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004   #41
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Something that I'm wondering about here and possibly some of the brighter football minds (I do not count myself among you) might be able to answer.

IF the Denver Broncos can put just about anyone behind their line and crank out a respectable running game as they've shown for literally years now and IF the Texans are in the process of adopting the same run blocking scheme then it seems to me that the back who adjusts the fastest to this blocking scheme is going to have an advantage. Now the Texans aren't executing this anywhere near the level that the Broncos do right now but they are in the process of getting their gel on. I can't help but think that Wells getting more carries and DD/Hollings out hurt is going to close the "talent" gap there. I suspect that if Wells gets comfortable running behind this line as the zone blocking scheme comes together then he'll look "pretty good" (relative to Jonathan Wells previous production) and stay in the mix for the starting position whether he really does deserve it or not.

If the zone blocking scheme can make an ordinary back into a performer then can it make Wells our starter? Is that possible?