View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004   #40
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really suspect that if DD keeps starting, we will be crushed this year and that he will be back next year, only to get hurt half-way through the season. We need to go with the guy who's playing better right now. DD hasn't just had a few bad games. He's had 6 of them, because we've played 6 games in which he has done nothing for this team. He has averaged below 3 yds. per carry and fumbled way too much when in there. The rest of the time, Wells has run for a higher avg (and held on to the ball), whille DD stayed on the sideline. What DD deserves right now is a chance to get a few carries in every game. We can't just forget about him, but starting him and forgetting Wells right now is just wrong. It's just dumb to continue on and let a guy blow as many or more games than he basically won for us last year, because he probably will if he keeps getting spoon fed the ball.

I don't even know that we need a new RB, because, between these 3 guys, somebody will usually be getting it done, at least well enough. Right now, Wells should start.

On the last play of the last game, Wells breaks one for a first down and, knowing that his team just won the game, he slides to a stop to avoid any possibility of fumbling. People, one more 20 yard run or so, even if it had been that one and he just kept going for a while, and a lot of this, "When is DD coming back?" kind of stuff wouldn't even be asked right now. Wells is getting the job done. Some of us are looking at his stats and saying, "Yeah, he's done the job, but he still sucks." Last year is over. It's way over. The only thing feeding this belief that Wells hasn't improved is the coaches putting DD back in there and stopping Wells from proving you wrong. It's almost like you guys are saying, "Yeah, he hit the ball 440 ft. and that's a homerun in any park, but I still don't like that swing. Yeah, that's an ugly swing. Oh, and make sure we limit his at bats, because I don't want to see that swing anymore."
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote