View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
first let me say that before this year I didn't think Wells could run his way through a pee-wee league football teams D-line without getting tackled, and falling BACKWARDS doing so. I think this year he has moved up to Jr High school D-line ability now, but he will still fall backwards while getting tackled. Davis always FALLS FORWARDS.

And this debate about who is the starter, Davis or Wells is actually semi-insane. IF Davis isn't ready to start then they will bring in HOLLINGS. If Davis loses the starting job it will be to HOLLINGS. If BOTH Davis AND Hollings are injured and can't play then Wells will be the starter. But that will be a rarity.

I am more than glad that Wells has improved to the point where I am thinking I MIGHT have been wrong and he can actually play and produce in the NFL. But he still doesn't have the 'field vision' to hit the holes created by the line. I honestly can't say he would even be considered a 'power runner' due to his inability to punch it through for a TD on a short yardage to the endzone situation.

Glad he is there and improving but I don't think Hollings OR Davis are very concerned about losing thier jobs to Wells, IMHO.
Wells does have a maddening habit of turning his back and backing into the line. I guess it's his semi-spin move. I feel a bit like you when it comes to Hollings. He is the real X factor here and it looks like we are bringing him along really slowly and taking no chances. I think that Davis is clearly the best back on our roster if you look at all the games and the entirety of their production.

All I know is we have 3 RB's and no player that is clearly head and shoulders above his reserve. We saw a few exciting glimpses of Hollings, Davis has been good when healthy, and Wells is finally awake. I'm not counting any of these guys out. In a league where Rueben Droughns and Priest Holmes can make it big after 3-4 years on the bench, I will be patient with all our young backs.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote