View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I had forgotten about Ogden. You are right. But we're talking about Seth Wand, not the first player selected in the draft. Hey, who knows, maybe Seth can play guard. But why? Is he really one of our 5 best o-lineman at any position? Or is he a potentially very good OT in waiting? We are loaded at G and have little quality depth at T. Wand has a prototypical tackle body, good length/leverage necessary to play outside, good feet, but from what little I've seen of him on the field, it doesn't seem like he can get low and wide enough to keep the much lower cg and stronger interior D-linemen from getting to his chest and blowing him backwards. Remember, when they had him in there last year in the jumbo sets, he played outside of the T and was lined up against LBs. Wand needs to get a LOT stronger than he was last season. Hopefully the off season weight program has helped in that regard. Some players benefit from being moved inside (Zach Wiegert is a prime example) but with Wand, I guess I just don't see it. All things considered, yes, the whole notion of playing him at G just struck me as absurd.

Quote:
think you are forgetting about an OT aj. Garrick Jones is still on the team
I didn't forget about him or Elliot Silvers or Curry Dawson. I don't know anything about Jones other than he came from the CFL and was signed by the Chiefs and later released. He was on the Texans practice squad before being signed to the 53 in October but he was inactive for every game. Let's hope that he's one of those surprises that goes from being a relative unknown to a solid backup.

Last edited by aj.; 05-19-2004 at 12:44 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote