View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im one of those who doesnt like the playcalling ..... BUT im not complaining about the disparrity between run / pass . In fact i'd much rather see MORE running if it could be done efficiently . Since they can only seem to manage about 3.3 ypc that isnt gonna happen.

Ive said this before and people twist my words into something totally different so this time im gonna explain it in such a way that you cant make it into something else ....

My complaints are simple . The Texans dont use ALL the weapons they have at their disposal . You seldom see play action , almost never see a guard or tackle pull , screen passes are pretty much non-existant and essentially just an extension of the running game . The tight ends have pretty much been forgotten . Timing route's have never been used much by this team .
The running game is elementary , lets hand it to DD or Wells and let them run it between the tackles . With Wells i can see that as a plan but with DD , (or Hollings for that matter) they need to get him in Space where he can make an LB or DB look like a fool .

Basicly they need to be more creative in their play calling , not just throw deep to AJ or run DD between the tackles . I'd like to see them be able to run effeciently 35+ times a game . That makes those DB's have to concentrate on the run just as much as the pass giving the recievers a better chance of beating them.

Teams know coming in what Capers wants to do , and thats pretty much what every coach would like to do wiht the exception of maybe Martz ( he's plain crazy) and thats Run the ball . So they put 8 in the box and make DC beat them with his arm , which he has been able to do this season with some regularity. The need to look for ways to exploit what defenses come in attempting to do not just try to overpower them at the line . It clearly isnt working when you avg 3.3 yards per carry , their avg for the season . Thats good enough for 30th in the NFL . Only Detroit (3.2) and Miami (3.0) have an avg per carry lower.

Billy Miller and Mark Bruener have a grand total of Eight (8) catches between them , both of these guy's are tough match-ups for the D . Use them and take some heat away from your outside recievers . Ya think if the TE makes a few catches over the middle that safety can afford to play over the top of AJ ? ..... not to mention those guy's are a LOAD to bring down for a DB.

Play Action is pretty nifty , Safety and or LB bites on the play fake and the reciever gets a step or two on him . Can ya imagine AJ gettin an EXTRA step on someone ? How about Bradford with his speed ?

Screen Passes ... an extension of the running game that get the back into the open field giving them a chance to make some moves on LB's and DB's without havin to bother with the D-line .

How bout a Draw play instead of running between the tackles on 3rd and 4 ?Maybe a trap or Delay ?

Balance to me doesnt mean run the ball 35 times for 2.7 yards a carry (the avg on sunday against the Titanics) and throwing it 26 for an avg of 10.2 (also the avg per pass against hte Titanics) . They need to find ways to run the ball more effeciently , NOT RUN LESS . Let me say that again ....

They need to find ways to run the ball more effeciently , NOT RUN LESS :hehe:
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote