View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess the competition for the LG spot has been flushed out. Washington, Brown, & Weary. Although he was a positive step up from the guys on the year 1 line, Washington never impressed me as anything but a stopgap player. I thought Brown had an excellent training camp, but stumbled late in preseason and in the Saint game. Of course he may have been playing hurt in that game. Weary still has the stigma of being benched on the year 1 line. This has to be his best (and last?) chance at getting back to the starting lineup.

If the coaching staff determines that Wand is one of the top 5 O-linemen, could he move to guard? I remember when Joe Pendry was brought in as the interior OL coach, it was said that the Texans were changing to a zone or area type blocking scheme (can't find link). I would think the player who adapts best to this new scheme (however that plays out) would win the LG job.

We've never seen the Texans version of an area blocking scheme, but the Broncos employ this type and it may resemble theirs. I mentioned as Wand possibly being in the mix at LG because his mobility seems to fit into the area blocking scheme. Maybe move Wand to LG for a season and flip flop with Pitts at LT in '05? Or just stay with Pitts at LT and make Wand into a LG? Because of his athleticism, I expect Wand to make his way into the lineup somewhere in the near future.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote