View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004   #15
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to be a BIG proponent of players putting the money aside (within reason, of course) and staying loyal to a team--particularly if it was a team that gave them a shot when no one else would.

Then came Al Davis. And Art Modell. And Butt Adams. And so on....

Rooting for an NFL team IS rooting for a corporation. LITERALLY. We like the franchise--take that literally with no nostalgia attached--in our city because it's in our city, but do owners like the fans for any reason other than $$? Maybe at some level, but they've proven in the past 10 years that it's all about the cash for them too.

I worry less about player loyalty to teams than I do to their own word. What I think is OUTRAGEOUS is how an owner is obligated to uphold a contract but a player can, at what is more or less a whim, QUIT. And come back whenever they want, with no serious repercussions. They call it "holding out," but I call it being a quitter and breaking one's word to one's teammates. Sure, they may lose game checks if they skip a game, but isn't it usually a matter of skipping the hard part (training camp) to say you're worth more than you were when you GAVE YOUR WORD in a contract?

Play your heart out in a contract year, but don't be a baby about it.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote