Thread: Negativity
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

People get negative at times. I know I do sometimes. My biggest complaints of the year so far were in the first two weeks (predictably enough) and they centered around the mistakes being made. Over the past two years I'd become used to seeing the team start the season "ready to play". They might not have been as good as the teams they faced but they were usually more focused and better prepared I thought. This year they didn't start out like that at all and it got me down to see them coughing up the fumbles and collecting flags left and right. There were higher expectations going into this season and the Texans came out flatter than they had ever started.

Thankfully that seems to have gotten back on track a little bit. The Texans loss to the Vikings isn't a disaster or anything. A win might have provided some serious momentum going into Tennessee but the way they came back from their bad first half wasn't bad at all. They're growing up this year and the 2002/2003 teams wouldn't have been able to push that game into overtime. They weren't good enough to overcome their own mistakes. This team is a lot closer to being good enough than that. Remember last year how the Patriots made tons of mistakes playing the Texans and yet still were good enough to pull it out in the end? Well that's where we're headed.

They'll get their .500 or so record this year. I still stand by my prediction that they'll win the majority of those games in the second half of the season. The first half of the year they'll be lucky to finish with one more win but over the second half they'll make a little run at a wild card. There are too many good teams though for them to get it this season but we're going to be at least mathematically in it until somewhere around the 11th to 13th week and that's pretty good.