View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
You paint a much darker picture than what is truly reality. I don't agree with the way you see the NFL at all. These guys aren't ruining their bodies and being cast aside. Some do but that isn't the majority. They choose to play in the NFL. As much as I love Earl Campbell even he said if he could do it different he would go out of bounds more. He used to punish everyone trying to bring him down. I don't see players paying a high price for our enjoyment. I see them doing it for $ and the only high price being their salary.
I've been a fan of the NFL for parts of 4 decades. I see what I see. Players get hurt, the NFL moves on. It really hasn't changed. Some people tend to see the players as a pawn for their enjoyment, I see them as human, and as people perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Every year a player negotiates a new contract and looks at what somebody else got with the same sort of stats and demands the same $ or more. The salary cap only limits what each team can spend on players not what each individual player gets. Ask Peyton Manning, Steve McNair, Champ Baily, Clinton Portis, Aaron Glenn, etc. Fair share as you see it. Owners are supposed to make a profit and I am FINE WITH THAT. Players are just that, players. They deserve to be paid fairly but some of the salaries are just plain outrageous.
There is something called the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and it distributes the massive revinue in the NFL fairly. A FIXED % of the profit goes to the players now. Before, it was a pimp-ho relationship.

Each player negotiates his worth and takes a share of the players % of the money. The same amount goes to the players regardless of what the individual signs for, it's just divided by worth. Its fair, and its proper, and the players and owners agree. Owners DO make a profit, as they always have. It's just not all the profit now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote