View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I think patience in the NFL as far as time to develop players and for a team to win has drastically changed in the last 10 or so years. Most players feel no sense of loyalty to a team. The $ rules. I've never understood why a player will leave a team that drafted him and spent countless hours coaching him for another team.
Why should they be loyal to a team? They are cut when injured and no longer viable. When they lose a step they are cast out. For the most part the players play for the league. The team they work for is just color. It's like being a part of a large corporation and being transferred to Seattle for work when traded. Loyalty cuts both ways and players don't need to be more loyal than the teams they work for. These guys put their bodies on the line for US FANS to enjoy. The average career is 4 years. Ask Earl Campbell how hard it is to get out of bed. He paid a high price for us to enjoy the NFL. I don't mind the players having some freedom. They are the ones ruining thier bodies for our enjoyment. Since the Owners are not too loyal to the players, so I don't see why the players need to be MORE loyal to the team. The only place I see where "loyalty" come into play is the fan interface.

Quote:
Where are the Pat Tillmans? The dollar amount is insignificant when your comparing 5.5 to 6 million or 7.5 to 9 million. Does it always have to be more than the next guy so that salaries never stop spiraling out of sight? Give me more!
The dollar amount is capped. It does not "spiral out of sight". Would you rather we roll the clock back to when the owners kept all the profit and gave the players crumbs? I am JUST FINE, with these guys we watch take their FAIR SHARE of the proceeds. I'd rather see guys like Jamie Sharper and Chester Pitts share in the ENOURMOUS money generated by the NFL than see Bud Adams or Bill Bidwell fatten their pockets to no end.
Quote:
Houston is on a 5 year plan supposedly. To me that is a long time in todays NFL.
Did you forget we are an expansion team? We did not have a decade of drafts as our core foundation. 5-years is too long....for a mature, established team full of hand picked players as a core group. It takes about 4 years to fill out 22 NFL quality starters, and one NFL quality back up at each position.....from scratch.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote