View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004   #9
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
We can conclude that the Texans may make signifant leaps forword and still be just better then average. Therefore if the Texans do not have a winning record next year the fans better not exit stage left. Stick to it for the long hall it may be a couple of years before the dynasty starts to settle in. however once it does start to happen it will be worth the wait.
I think patience in the NFL as far as time to develop players and for a team to win has drastically changed in the last 10 or so years. Most players feel no sense of loyalty to a team. The $ rules. I've never understood why a player will leave a team that drafted him and spent countless hours coaching him for another team. Where are the Pat Tillmans? The dollar amount is insignificant when your comparing 5.5 to 6 million or 7.5 to 9 million. Does it always have to be more than the next guy so that salaries never stop spiraling out of sight? Give me more!
Houston is on a 5 year plan supposedly. To me that is a long time in todays NFL. You could lose half the players that started with your team in 5 years. Teams have become revolving doors for players. Mediocre players now command a lot of money and get it. I don't feel sorry for their short careers because most will make more in 1 contract signing than you or I do in our entire life. I think Capers and CC have done a good job up to this point but who is to say key players won't bolt right when our team is turning the corner.
After saying all that I really don't think that there is a whole lot that we could do different. As a matter of fact I think character is one of the things Capers and CC take into consideration when drafting a player. So hopefully when our key players are up for contract negotiations we will see that "character" come into play.

Last edited by bckey; 05-16-2004 at 10:18 AM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote