View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Kind of like the final clock killing drive when they ran Wells 4 straight times (4, 3, 5, 5) to get from their own 1 yard line out to the 18. If any of those had failed, the play calling posse would have been screaming for Palmer's head. Why aren't we hearing about that "bad" play calling? Four runs in a row with the game on the line -- my god why didn't we run a screen or a bootleg or throw to the tight end? How could we be so super-ultra-conservative all the time?

Think it might have anything to do with execution?

Seems to me it's the play calling only when it doesn't work.
Maybe no one is saying it was bad play calling because of the situation. It's one thing to call 4 straight runs from your 1 yard line with a 10 point lead. It's another to run up the middle on back/back plays when you're down 12 in the 4th quarter with the clock running.

Maybe no one is saying it was bad play calling because the Texans did pass 4 times in that drive and picked up 51 of the 73 yards gained through the air. Give credit where credit is due, the Texans wouldn't have gotten in position for that FG & run 7:33 off the clock without passing the football.

Frankly, I don't get your point. Are you saying that the coaches can pull any play out of a hat and it's up to the players to make it work? Or is every play called the perfect play, and it's the players who make or break it? I think everyone would agree that some balance between strategy and execution on both sides of that ball determines the results in the outcome of a given play.

Credit the Texan offensive staff with developing a game plan that gained 386 yards against a good Raider defense. Credit the O-line coaches with designing the pass protection schemes that allowed David Carr to stay on his feet much of the day. Today was their day. But no one is flawless or above criticism. A play can fail by design just as easily as a play can fail by lack of execution. The Texans are a deserving 2-2, and the players & coaches share in the successes & failures. I think even they would agree with that.