View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I see the Texans dropping 8 all the time. I sit in my chair and watch and wait for it to happen and it always does. One of the reasons the Texans are giving up such a high amount of 3rd and long plays on defense is because they dont bring more then 3 guys a good amount of the time....
The Texans do drop some of the front 7 at times, but as you say, it is on 3rd and long, i.e. passing downs. That is not the situation that started this conversation which was dropping eight not for the purpose of pass protection but to make sure that elite backs don't break off long runs. Teams just don't do that--it is much easier for the LB's to tackle a RB as they pass in between the OLmen or to gang tackle than it is to make open field tackles. You never want to give a guy that is a running threat room to work in. You don't think DD is fast enough to be an elite RB--I think that is an overgeneralization, but if you recall before the season we agreed that AJ had a much better chance to go to the pro-bowl so we are in agreement that he is the biggest threat on the team. That said, this dropping guys to stop RB's down field thing isn't NFL reality.