Thread: Air Texans
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

This post kind of dove tails with an idea thrown up by Vinny at hpf, namely that until the OL significantly improves the Texans should work on developing their intermediate passing game.

Until the OL improves either through gelling this season or off-season additions for next year, I agree that particularly with the Texans' WR corps, intermediate routes should be the name of the game. Gaffney and Armstrong seem to be very good at finding holes in the middle of the field and catching the balls thrown to them in traffic. While a lot of folks think short to intermediate routes waste AJ and Bradford's speed, I think just the opposite--that let's them turn intermediate routes into big plays on safer, quicker devoloping plays with their ability to do things after the catch--think Bradford in Miami or AJ at the Bills last year.

As an example of this kind of game plan, it seems to me that the Patriots have schemed around the fact that they do not have the Chiefs, Colts or GB OL by having Brady throw a ton of passes between 10-20 yds down field. The Patriots have had no RB anyone was scared of the last few years and they do not have one of the best OL's around, but they have had a very effective passing game especially with 3, 4 and 5 WR sets and lots of intermediate length, chain moving receptions.