View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004   #40
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_rutledge
The cap is a good thing cuz if it wasn't in place, ticket prices would skyrocket.
The cap and revenue sharing is a good thing because, unlike MLB, it helps level the playing field financially between all 32 teams. It eliminates (theoretically at least) the have's and have nots. If you liked the age of dynasties, it's possible that you don't like the age of salary cap, however, as teams get smarter in how to manage the cap, it's possible to have teams make multiple runs at greatness year after year.

I don't really get off to this cap stuff, I just do it because it's such an integral part of team/organizational decisions. I started doing it because I saw a lot of questions and comments coming from people (who didn't pay attention to cap) like "why didn't we go sign player x?" Knowing where the team sits financially helps you understand whether some of that stuff is even possible.

I prefer to go to games, talk x's and o's, read about the NFL, watch old games/highlights on tv, tailgate, and do all the rest of the normal fan stuff much more than I "like" doing the cap ****ola. If fact, I thought seriously about discontinuing the cap sheet earlier this year because it is absolutely not a labor of love and it's very difficult to come by accurate information unless you have insider contacts which I have very few. What I don't like is putting inaccurate information out there and as you can read from the disclaimer on the cap sheet, there are inaccuracies in the sheet that I haven't been able to reconcile. That's why I always welcome help from those who might have some insider info.

Last edited by aj.; 05-14-2004 at 12:20 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote