View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004   #36
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of me agrees with steve that I'd rather not know what a player makes. But since there is a salary cap and teams do have to make decisions based as much on that as actual performance, it's better to know. The salary info provides some insight into why a team has to cut or not re-sign your favorite player and therefore reduces the criticism.

This may just be wishful thinking on my part, but when this CBA expires I'd like to see changes that would make it easier for a team to re-sign players they drafted. Such as having a player drafted by said team 5+ years prior count only 80% of his cap value on his 2nd contract (and beyond). This might make a player more likely to stay with his original team, and keep some continuity. I'd also like to see more of the "pay for play" bonus money become available. Maybe reduce (or not grow) the rookie pool and give more cash to the young guys who actually perform, regardless of where they're drafted.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote