View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
You don't know that for sure. It is ok to question the trade and still think Babin is going to be great and worth it. Some people question the trade up because it was only from 40 to 27 and do think Babin would have been there.

You can't say we didn't pay that much to get him either. Randy Starks, Matt Ware, Donnell Washington, Bernard Berrian, and Will Poole are some of the 3rd rounders that were available.

Bo Schobel, Isaac Sopoaga, Nathan Vasher, Will Allen, PK Sam, and Jason Shivers all were there for our 4th round pick.
All the players you listed lasted till the later rounds for a reason. EVERY single team in the NFL passed on these guys till late in the draft. We only gave up ONE first day pick to select a starting outside linebacker. That is not much of a "cost" to me. Second day picks generally do not pan out at a high rate. Look at past NFL drafts if you do not believe me. www.drafthistory.com

In addition, I think it is safe to assume that Babin would be gone since there have been several articles saying that teams were trying to trade up to select him also. This draft was EXTREMELY thin in edge rushers this year, and if you want a guy, you just do not assume he will be there. Our cost was minimal when you consider he projects to start as a rookie in one of the most critical positions in the 3-4. In a normal draft, you make 3 first day picks. We made two....both top 27 players. Giving up pick 70 something and 100-something for a starter does not bother this fan the least bit.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote