Thread: Please Explain
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
I don't want to sound naive but I'm not sure what is meant by "trying too hard". It's my understanding that in the NFL you need to try as hard as you can or you will get your block knocked off!
Dominick is carrying the ball loosely and trying too hard to gain more and more yardage. When there is a defender near him, he is carrying it loosely until that last second when he must wrap it up with both hands. He is trying to make moves and get past defenders, or at last outspeed them. Sometimes, this causes him to accidentally wait too long before wrapping it up and he never does get both arms around it, which, in turn, causes some fumbles. I backed off of saying that he was doing this recently, because someone disagreed, but now HE'S admitting it. You can't run as fast and you definately can't juke and fake as well (so to speak) with both arms around the ball, but you won't fumble anywhere near as much. He just needs to "wrap it up", as I say, sooner and more of the time--but not 100% of the time that he's carrying it. Obviously, if he finds himself wide open (this is an extreme example), he should carry it with one arm and sprint like crazy.

I've also said that it was a mistake for Davis to even say that 2000 yds. was his goal for this year. He has been trying too hard to attain a possible (but unlikely) goal and it is causing fumbles.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote