View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004   #14
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nothing personal to RTP, but it sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Walker and Glenn are healthy, and completely recovered from last years injuries. I haven't seen the level of agressiveness I expect out of a Dom Capers 3-4. I could specualate as to the reasons why, such as trying to cover for youth and inexperience in the secondary, but regardless, it just is not there. It's clear to me that without the all out blitzes, and other agressive manuevers, this defense will simply be terrible. If you can't stop teams on third and long, you are toast. Just as with the offense, there is plenty of blame to go around, including the coaching, scheme, game plan, and players. They have to buck it up. The schedule doesn't get any easier from here.
Right on Porky. The way our pass rush has looked so far, if we don't start blitzing, we will never get to the QB. That could make for a long season. If we could hold onto the ball and mix up the play calling a bit, we could win some games. I want to see more blitzing. I want to see more passing on 1st down. I want to see pass plays called on 2nd and short, 3rd and short. The main problem is the turnovers. Carr is 6th in the league in passing yards, 10th in the league in passer rating. Our offense is 10th in the league in total yards. Our defense is 11th in the league in total yards allowed. Our offense is 6th in the league in 3rd down %. But our defense 2nd to last in the league in points allowed and our offense is 19th in the league in points scored. What does all of that say? Our offense moves the ball, but doesn't score, or turns the ball over. Our defense doesn't allow that many yards, but teams are scoring on us because they don't have far to move the ball because they are getting possession off of our turnovers close to the end zone. Take away at least some of the turnovers, we are 2-0, and one of the better teams in the NFL...frustrating. Just my