View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by compy75
Ok well:

1) 4 fumbles in 2 games IS inexcusable HOWEVER:

-We have to understand that Davis averaged a full 1.5 yards per carry MORE than ANY other back who ran behind this line last. Be it, Mack, Hollings, or Wells! Same line, different players, different results. No one broke 3 yards per carry!

-That being said, it depends how you regard Domanick. If you see that his talent is exceptional compared to the other backs, than you will take the lumps of 2 grossly awful fumbling performances.

-Compare it to Clinton Portis, he has fumbled a MERE three times in 2 games. Losing all of them, two of which the opposition ran in while the other led to a short drive to score. Do you expect Gibbs to bench him?

-My main contention is simply that DD's talent is so much more than the others that the fumbles need more than one game to be curtailed. Plain and simple.

-Perhaps, simply a do or die fumble mentality where if he puts it on the grounds he's gone. I feel he deserves one more opportunity. Especially against a KC team that he should rip up.

-One thing can not be disputed and that is he has the most all purpose yards this side of Curtis Martin, it has to count for something.

Clinton Portis should sit down. One thing though: I'm not saying that fumbling is the only way to get put on the bench. If you prove unable to gain yardage, or at least enough to get the job done, then it's somebody else's turn. I'm not saying that we should let Wells take the ball and run for 1 yd. per carry for the rest of the season, just because he didn't fumble. I know that the skills player does SOMETIMES make a big difference, but I really think that can also change from one year to the next, with some players. I say give Hollings the ball, but I'm not saying that it's a permanent change. See what he can do for one game. See what Wells can do for one game--now, not back when--if Hollings isn't real impressive. Let all 3 of them know that the first one to kick some rear, and keep doing it, will probably continue playing. That's what I'm saying. Davis might still wind up back in there again, but he just might learn a valuable lesson, also.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote